Sunday, July 17, 2011

A dark rabbit has 7 lives... ugh

Veiw at our new site!:  animepantry

Well, I’m back for a new season! I hope anyone who reads this blog didn’t miss us too much. (not that we have much of a following anyway)... But seriously, if you’re reading this, thanks for your interest!

I’m just going to get this out of the way so I don’t have to complain about it later, this season really looks bad. There are very few shows that even hold a mild appeal for me... compared to last season, this one is a real stinker. But don’t worry, in anime it usually goes like that. One relatively good season followed by a bad one.

Anywho. The first show I saw of the new stuff was Itsuka tenma no Kuro Usagi, A dark rabbit has 7 lives by Zexcs. For those of you who don’t know, they are basically a master studio of bullcrap moe (moe is explainded in this article) shows. They are also the ones, incidentally that did chuubra, as reviewed by one of our staff, Dr. Freezerburn (shameless plug).

Anyway, let’s get down to the nitty gritty...


This show is moe, so it is automatically not my thing. But any who, I thought I’d give it a shot, because the art looked kinda interesting for moe.

[caption id="attachment_404" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Her hair is apparently made of the milky way, cause those dots move constantly..."][/caption]

The show establishes itself in kiddy grades, with the main boy and this one seemingly vampire girl pledging themselves to one another. But, since the boy has grown up, he’s forgotten all about her. A very overdone concept. It even has a cliched girl next door with a secret crush character. So, really, there isn’t any groundbreaking plot going on.

[caption id="attachment_393" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="She's even blushing. Can you cliché?"][/caption]

Now, that being said, I did enjoy some of the color choices, but that might be the only saving grace.

There was clear fan service that wasn’t even delicately handled, that I absolutely abhorred.

The usual panty shot from an angle.

[caption id="attachment_399" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="REALLY? WHAT THE HECK IS THIS CRAP?!"][/caption]

This show also has a stupid title... I’m not going to lie, it so far has not even a bit to do with the show. In fact, it should have been the Taito show. It seemed neccessary to say his name every few frames... mostly for no reason at all. So yeah, I now know the main characters name through not so subtle brainwashing.



The show’s style is also clearly moe. How do I know? The EXCESSIVE moe angles. If you don’t know what I’m talking about then here:

[caption id="attachment_401" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Tiiiiiiiiilt"][/caption]

This is not a clever angle. This show feels a compulsive need to be “artsy” by tilting things this way and that. Usually when anime does that, it’s very little and used for dramatic effect. Not this one. It’s almost every shot is angled. I felt like I was veiwing this anime in the leaning tower of pisa.

[caption id="attachment_394" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Anime in Italics...."][/caption]

Also with this, there was some other, shall I say, plagiaristic tendencies..
Such as this:

[caption id="attachment_400" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Is he a zombie, too? Apparently...Kore wa zombie desu ka flashbacks anyone?"][/caption]

Recognize it? It’s not even a season old. The old mix blood with moe is edgy routine. Never seen that before! (dripping with sarcasm)

[caption id="attachment_406" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="seen it"][/caption]

Honestly, there is very little if anything that is completely original or even entertaining about this show. It isn’t even one of those concepts that is so bad it’s good for comedy.

Honestly, If I were to rate this show, it’d get a 4 (bad) on a 10 scale... on almost all acounts. Honestly. Don’t even bother with this show. I want those 25 mins of my life back! それを返して!

No comments:

Post a Comment